Thu, 23 Feb|
Live Online Webinar
Tackling Racism in UK Education
***This is a FREE Event*** This collaborative discussion and support webinar is for parents, educational professionals and members of the wider community committed to playing an active role on tackling racism in UK Education.
Time & Location
23 Feb 2023, 13:00 – 15:00
Live Online Webinar
About the event
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” —Barack Obama
Reflecting upon recent events and ongoing reported incidents of racism against BAME students across the UK, discussions centered on strategies for tackling racism in UK education are more prevalent than ever.
- 95% of young BAME people hear racist language or witness racism at school
- 50% of young BAME people believe that teachers perceptions of them are one of the biggest barriers to them achieving at school
To lend from Barack Obama, ‘change will not come if we wait for some other person or if we wait for some other time’. It is time to tackle racism within UK Education. How can we each support, encourage and be an active part of the change we all seek?
Inconversation in Education are hosting this webinar to provide a forum for collaborative discussion between parents, education professionals and members of the wider community on the topic of tackling racism and racist bullying in UK education.
Supported by the following industry expert, guest speakers:
- Natalie Simmonds-Alleyne: CEO INCONVERSATION IN EDUCATION
- Kiki Nartey: Senior Education Lead, FLAIR
- Aisha Sanusi: Director, African Caribbean Education Network (ACEN)
- Alev Zahir: Senior Manager, Leaders Unlocked & Members of the Student Commission for Racial Justice
- Jordan Sonko Crawford- Associate Deputy Head at Queen Park Community School
and our special guest: Jeffery Greenidge: Director of Diversity at AoC (Association of Colleges)
We aim to reassure our audience that there is much positive work currently taking place to promote anti-racism within UK education. Providing a platform to showcase and raise awareness of a range of outstanding organisations working across the UK education sector to embed anti-racism into areas including safeguarding, data collection, student voice, curriculum, policy, and practice.
Our aims for the session are to:
- Provide a platform for collaborative discussion about racism and racist bullying in UK eduaction
- Offer advice to support tackling racism and racist bullying in UK education
- Raise awareness of organisations currently working to promote anti-racism in UK education
- Provide practical advice on the promotion of anti-racism in UK education
Let's come together to exchange voices, share knowledge & advice to support tackling racism in UK education!
Welcome & Keynote: Delivered by Natalie Simmonds-Alleyne
Safeguarding Against Racism & Racist Bullying- Aisha Sanusi: Director, African Caribbean Education Network (ACEN)
Free Event Ticket
This ticket admits one person to Tackling Racism in Education Webinar£0.00